You are able to annotate PDFs on your Chromebook or Chrome browser without purchasing any additional software like Adobe Acrobat. All you need is a Chrome extension called Kami to do this.
Chrome extensions are add-ons for your Chrome browser that allow you to customize and improve its functionality. Chrome extensions can be found on the Chrome Web Store.
Kami is a chrome extension that allows you to open PDFs from your Google Drive, annotate with text, highlights, and more, then save that PDF back to your Google Drive.
First you need to install the Chrome extension:
- Visit this link
- Click “Add to Chrome”
- Click “Add Extension”
- You should now see a blue circle icon in the right-hand corner of your toolbar. This is where your Chrome extensions live.
Now you can start opening and annotating PDFs from your Google Drive by following these steps:
- Open Google Drive
- Find a PDF you would like to edit and double click on it.
- At the top of the PDF viewer, you should see a drop down menu called “Open With”. Click on this menu.
- Select “Annotate with Kami” from the list of applications.
- The first time you launch Kami, you will be asked to log in using your Google account. This will link Kami to your Google Drive.
- This will open the PDF from the Kami website which will give you all the tools you need to annotate the PDF including highlighting, text, shapes, and more.
- Changes are automatically saved to Google Drive.
If you need help using Kami, visit their Help Center for instructions, tutorials and FAQs. Here are links to some articles to help you get started: