The Natomas Unified School District maintains financial policies that comply with state and federal law, and that incorporate recognized best practices for prudent oversight of the District’s financial assets. The use of the Cal Card is not intended to circumvent the District’s purchasing policies.
The purpose of the Cal Card is to provide coverage for official school business when a purchase order is not accepted or impractical. The Cal Card procedures are only for the payment and reconciliation of the monthly statement; all other District procedures relating to expenditures and reimbursements must be adhered to.
The purpose of this procedure is to ensure that District assets are protected, accurately and timely processed, and properly reported. Under no circumstances should District credit cards be used for personal expenditures.
Goods and Services
Prior to using the Cal Card for goods and services:
- Pre-approval from Deputy Superintendent is required for purchasing equipment of $500.00 and above;
- Verify funds are available in the appropriate budget;
- Complete a Cal Card Monthly Transaction Log;
- Obtain all required approvals;
- Cal Card may not be used for payments to consultants.
Once all of the necessary paperwork is done, budget is verified and appropriate approvals have been obtained, an authorized person may make the order/reservation with the vendor. After the order/reservation is completed:
- Retain all documentation (including receipts) until the monthly statement is downloaded;
- For emergency situations, the paperwork can be submitted for approval immediately after the order/reservation is made.
Prior to making ANY travel arrangements using the Cal Card, all travel procedures should be adhered to. This includes pre-approved conference request forms and corresponding requisitions for purchase. Please refer to NUSD TRAVEL GUIDELINES.
A monthly statement is downloaded by the Financial Services Department, and each card holder will receive a copy of their respective charges for the month. To reconcile, the authorized card holder or his/her assistant should:
- Review and compare each charge to the pre-approved documentation that was used when purchasing with the vendor;
- After all of the itemized receipts have been reconciled to the charges on the statement, the packet should be put together in statement order;
- Send complete packets (monthly transaction log, copy of email originally sent and all backup & documentation) via pdf to Financial Services no later than 5 business days after the email is received. This will ensure timely payment and processing which will provide for continued access to these funds;
- If a receipt is not able to be obtained, contact Financial Services for further instructions;
- On the Monthly Transaction Log, an electronic signature is accepted. If the cardholder approves the payments via email, that email must be attached as a documentation as well.
In the event merchandise was returned or services cancelled, and a credit has not been posted at the time of reconciliation, the cardholder should include any available documentation of the return/cancellation when the monthly packet is submitted to Financial Services Department.
Charges should be made by authorized personnel only, which will expedite the process when it is time to reconcile. As with all expenditures, purchases should only be for pre-authorized, allowable District expenses. Any expenditure disallowed will be the responsibility of the purchaser.
When there are fraudulent or disputed charges, the cardholder or his/her assistant should:
- Contact the vendor to resolve the matter and request a credit;
- If it is not possible to contact the vendor or the vendor is uncooperative, please contact US Bank Customer Service at (800) 344-5696;
- Notify Financial Services of the dispute.
If a card is lost or stolen, or if you believe the card number has been compromised in a fraudulent manner, the cardholder must immediately notify US Bank Customer Service at (800) 344-5696, the approving official, and Financial Services.